Subject: [Leica] How did 50mm become the "normal" lens for 35mm cameras?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:46:14 -0400

Frank! I think the trick to wide wides is to crawl right up into your
subjects personal space so your are right "up their nose".  That's when you
get a shot form their belt up. If you ever get your hands on an 18-35mm lens
it may give you a whole new outlook. Amazing what you can do with that lens
or the 1.5x crop version a 12-24mm. I shot most my 24 cars with one one a
month when I did those cars for the NYTimes. But you gotta get right on top
of your subject. Inches away. I always brushed my teeth twice.

On 9/22/16 5:46 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I quite agree Mark.
If you look at an object straight ahead then with arms
> outstretched move your index finger in an arc from in front of you until
> you
> just stop being aware of them you see that your visual field is about 180
> degrees, mine is anyway. On the other hand, as you say, the bit one
> concentrates on is quite small. My preference of lens to represent the view
> "as I see it" needs a 85/90mm lens. A 35 is on the limit for me as a
> maximum
> wide angle for observational pictures. OTOH one can get really good visual
> effects with wider, it is just that the resulting picture bears no
> resemblance
> to what I see naturally, for me.
So for me I use 35mm or longer for normal
> photography. I find 28mm neither one thing nor the other, and don?t
> remember
> when I last used mine, and wider for special effects and fun or if I can?t
> get
> far enough away from my subject for a natural perspective.
Frank D.