Subject: [Leica] IMG: Occupied France - Bench 1, 2, and 3
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 21:50:28 +0100

Thanks Jim.

Lonely? Who indeed knows what demons gnaw inside people other than the
people themselves. I take photographs of situations that interest me, and
I'm sure the camera lies about those situations just as much as it tells the
truth. Images just reflect the briefest of surface impressions captured in a
millisecond. As Winogrand said "I photograph to see what things look like
photographed" and I, like many people I suppose, tend to do the same.

Bench pictures with people sitting on them always evoke to me the sense of
waiting, of wanting something to happen to remove the immobility of the
wait, and the chance to exit the solitary. An older person on a bench
generates different feelings in us to a younger one, and I suppose we impute
happier possibilities for youth as opposed to old age decrepitly carrying
the accumulated baggage of varying experiences. More chance when you're
older of singing "Ain't no sunshine when he's/she's gone" silently inside
your head.

However, in my case when I have a camera with me, I delight in the
opportunity to sit, assess the surroundings, and spot opportunities for
photographs. That and the opportunity to rest my tortured knees...

Douglas