Subject: [Leica] IMG: My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 16:13:14 -0800

IN LR, there is an area to put a form of data base file structure... called
Keywords.  It is used for quickly finding an image by certain user defined
words in conjunction with the LR file SW.

If you listen to Adobe, ALL your files go into one actual file ( folder , or
whatever you like to call it, a computer file.)  Then you use the Keywords
to actually categorize your images and be able to select one at will.
Think of Tina and 900,000 images... how to find the 1 that was taken on Jan
26, 2014 of the Kids playing in the back yard.... the one that shows #2
Grandson with a yellow shirt on....  You NEED a database that is capable and
easy to use.  Keywords does that for you.  But to be effective, you MUST be
consistent and always use them.

Your previously used Keywords are listed, so you do not have to remember
what you used... but after a few hundred, finding the ONE that you want can
be a Debbie Downer.

Keywords are also setup to be hierarchal.   You can ( and probably should)
use that feature.... example... Trips > Europe>  Belgium> Brussels  Nest one
inside the other to make it easy....

For instance, and using your current actual file structure: these are
keywords you might use......
Year, Date, Camera, Lens, Subject.....  Now the camera is also in the EXIF
file structure, so that is a bit of redundancy... but certainly not a big
deal.  So is the year and date and lens....
IF your EXIF data actually includes it.... ( why would it not?   If you use
a Nikon lens on a Leica M9 body, there will be none of the data except date
and camera.  The lens info is not recorded,  Scans also do not include
it.... as if your scanner would know what lens was used to take an
image.....)

Now actual file structure....  Does it make ANY difference if you use the
massive file and sort using the keywords or the sub file approach like Year?
 No.  None. Although I am sure there is probably some advantage if you use
some esoteric command, but I do not use them.
So you could continue to use your present file structure, without problems.
Or not.

In addition, LR allows you to open more than one file structure at the same
time.... so you can look at the images in the 2004 file and the 2014 file at
the same time....   Again,, any reason to put ALL the images in one giant
file stricture?  Not that I can see.....

Some use by Year, or maybe by occasion ( Uncle Mickey's 101th Birthday), or
maybe by Camera ( Leica, Canon, Nikon).....  Does it matter?  No.

Use one that you like, and be religious about using it.

LR is pretty easy to figure out... it works like Photographers think.  It is
not (usually) obtuse, there are books to help you, and, If you wish, you can
buy (what is now called ) a perpetual license.... instead of $10 a month for
the rest of your life.......

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net