Subject: [Leica] IMG: Large Ant Hill of Medium-Sized Black Ants
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 17:18:36 +0000

Hi Jim.  Not sure they are fire ants.  I have never heard of black ones,
like you say.  Put one in a jar and then google them to see if they look
anything like a fire ant.

Now if the are NOT fire ants and they are not causing any problem, I
would be tempted to just leave them alone and enjoy them.  Ants are so
fantastic, as are most social insects.  Of course i am bias being a
biologist.  Most people, my wife included, don't share my view on small
invertebrates.

That said, having been bitten numerous times by fire ants while working
on a broken sprinkler pipe, they are indeed nasty and need to be treated
with the utmost of respect.

Aram