Subject: [Leica] URL: M10 interview with Stefan Daniel
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 08:53:35 +0000

All sensors have micro lenses over them, if I understand correctly, to
compensate for the non-light -sensitive portions of the chip and concentrate
all the light onto the sensitive bit. The difference is between the
micro-lens positions relative to the pixel. On most sensors there is a
symmetrical micro-lens array over  the whole sensor for the M sensor the
microlenses are directly over the pixels in the centre of the sensor but are
increasingly offset towards the centre as the distance of the pixel from the
centre of the sensor increases thereby partly compensating for the fact that
the typical rangefinder lens has an exit pupil much closer to the sensor
than lenses originally designed for reflex cameras.
Those of us old enough, and interested enough, to have followed the
development of digital photography will remember the early Sony and,
particularly, Olympus publicity pointing out that lenses designed for film
were not necessarily suitable for use on a digital sensor.
I am sure that has not changed but two things have, firstly lenses designed
in the last decades will have been designed with this in mind, and sensors
will have microlens arrays to compensate to a degree.
Clearly if there are offset microlenses then these can only be absolutely
spot-on for one exit pupil distance, and fine for a range either side,
depending on the actual geometry.
I wonder if all sensors have offset microlenses nowadays, just not as much
as the M sensor, since few, if any, lenses have their exit pupils at
infinity which would be the optimum for a symmetrical position?

Frank D.