Subject: [Leica] URL: M10 interview with Stefan Daniel
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 23:12:05 -0800

To add to John's response......  and what I write is my firm belief, but I
have no facts to support it.... ( why should that matter, this IS the
Internet isn't it?)

Leica seems to interpret a "Sensor" as the assembly of silicon chip, case,
glass cover,  micro lenses, and PCB to hold it all as a "Sensor" and
possibly the image processing chip.  In a recent interview with Stephan
Daniels, he is asked about the sensor and responds in this way.
I am an Integrated Circuit guy..... which means I interpret the ward
"sensor" to mean the silicon chip....  No more, no less.

When Leica says the M10 sensor is different from the SL sensor, and using
Daniels' interpretation, adding the micro lenses to the SL chip would make
it a "new" sensor.....  ditto new PCB or image processor or....  changing to
eh Maestro II processor would be a "new" sensor......... you get the idea....

My guess is that after spending a small fortune on the M240 sensor (
remember Leica had it designed by CMOSIS and fabbed by STM Microelectronics
and or Fujitsu, unclear which is the current foundry), that the IC chip
inside is the same from all 3 cameras... what IS different among the 3, is
the micro lenses, cover glass plate, and for sure the accompanying PCB that
supports it all, and image processing chip with its attendant FW.....

M240 = Maestro processor, micro lenses
SL Processor = remove the micro lenses
M10 processor = Maestro II processor, micro lenses

So if Frank is right, how does he explain the differences in the optical
outputs, which are very different between the 3 cameras?

The output of the sensor goes to the image processing chip...... now the
Maestro 2 processor.  The firmware written for this chip has been changed
and  improved... thus different outputs....
Do I have ANY data to prove this?  Nope, it just makes most sense
financially and in an engineering sense..... and why the M10 has only a 24MP
sensor, rather than the larger MP output that was expected....

How would this be proved?  Using a microscope and looking at the sensor
chip.. With experience it is easy to tell if the chips are the same or
different........

It is always more sexy to say you have a NEW and IMPROVED sensor than to say
you have a tweaked sensor.....

References to Tide products is fully intentional.....

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net