Subject: [Leica] Film Lab
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 16:03:15 -0400
References: <CAH1UNJ0P+Fdw=cpGOO9yhvSFMGy4b77SVOME89tBehQ_TJ63tQ@mail.gmail.com> <FC4E534E-6F7E-46B1-A9E5-412FBB4AAB6B@gmail.com> <CAEFt+w9kgzW=HphOAUrSogRKDjZeTM107ouz82ayjX0h8R6Tdw@mail.gmail.com> <808C3BF5-BFBF-4BE7-B78A-F53528103C02@gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ0NW=M_+wqJzrO+1A+Hf+XBy4UL50QzU0iCV12iOk8Gpg@mail.gmail.com> <CAEFt+w_CvAev=+n_DXy3Uo8-3ek7c4GnTL=RyJCP_r1Y94r2GQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ3ozS1A6Sc+z3yvT34yN0Gf7wq_d1V1qDit_Quw3UaVxA@mail.gmail.com> <DA21CFC5-4961-4E5E-B0AE-42D0B26855E7@gmail.com> <6CDF3B6B-2DF6-4B89-A157-05529407A152@btinternet.com>

Scanning is a craft and an art just like being out there with your digital
camera making captures and processing them later is.
Its workflow is similar but way different and no less complicated. And has
just as long of and complicated as direct digital capturing with a camera.
And if you don?t do it all that often you must re learn what you?d learned
before.
Every time I do scanning I learn something micromental to make be a better
scanner next time. Such is life.

And the word ?micromental? was invented right in this email.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 6/5/17, 2:08 AM, "LUG on behalf of Frank Dernie"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of
Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com> wrote:

    You seem to be describing grain aliasing in your scans Lluis. I had the
same poor results from the (few) colour film negatives I scanned. I did not
do many, just favourite family snaps, but though scans from Kodachrome were
fine all the scans from fast negative film were as you describe. Aliasing is
actually related to grain size and scan resolution interfering with each
other, not the fact that inkjet printers work in dots - chemical prints are
made up of dots too (the silver grains are dots not continuous).
    Your scanner is almost certainly your problem, not your printer or
digital v chemical photography.
    cheers,
    Frank D.

<lluisripollphotography at gmail.com> wrote:

    > Gerry, Jayanand and other friends
    >
    > What I can say is obvious, film and digital technologies are
different, they work in different ways and maybe it is a mistake compare
them. What I can say and afirm is that if you have a negative from film, you
print it and you also you enlarge it in the darkroom the results are much
better from the darkroom procedure, for example, one of the prints I?ve do
on my EPSON SC-P600 on Canson Platine Fiber Rag size A3 and the same
enlarged on Ilford Baryta Multigrade, same size, the resukts are much, much,
much better from the chemical process, the digital printing offers an
approximate view with less gradation, les definition and deepness on the
blacks and on the highlights, on this picture there is sand and very shiny
sea waves, in the inkjet print the sand appears as many small pints and the
highlights without information, on the wet copy you see a rich extended
zones of grey on the sand and information on the highlights. If you take the
focusing magnifier used n the darkroom and lou look at the  picture
information from digital, you see big drops of ink, if you look at the wet
copy you see fine points of grain. The printers still ?don?t know print in a
fine gradation, they know only input points (drops if ink)?. If we ONLY look
at the picture on the monitor the differences are less evident, the monitirs
are retro?luminated and they give us a better suggestion of the image, if
you consider as I do, that the final picture is the picture, I?m sorry to be
so ?brave? as Gerry says but the wet copy is the winner.

    > A different think is if you have shot something on digital, in my
opinion on this case you are already to work with the digital values, they
can differ from film values. In my recent experience in the darkroom with a
friend who know very well the B&W negative values, he has demonstrate me
measuring the negatives zones with a densitomer that separation and
information between the different zones, particularly on the extreme zones
0, 1 and 9 and 10 is more rich with film. I?ve do Digital Negatives, an
interesting technique to get chemical prints from digital files, not easy,
and at least in my experience the final quality is not as good as a copy
from a real negative, I think because the original amount of information is
not the same, when you make a Digtal Negative you print it, and I have
already said which are the inconvenients of a printer procedure compared
with a chemical one.

    > Beside this there are many possible interpretations as well as
compromise and in many cases digital could be enough, but what I?ve realized
is that if I have a nice picture to print, I prefer have it from film and do
it on the darkroom than in inkjet printing.

    > Cheers
    > Lluis
    >

    >> El 4 juny 2017, a les 9:30, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at
gmail.com> va escriure:

    >> Dan,
    >> Oh, I am sure of that!
    >>
    >> I feel that digital output is still better than darkroom output,
though,
    >> even for B&W. IMHO, there is simply no comparison, in the complete
    >> workflow, from capture to print. As I said, others may have different
    >> opinions and I respect that - I know Lluis does, and we have
discussed this
    >> many, many times privately, and in the end we just amicably agree to
    >> disagree, and go on with what suits us individually! However, I find
the
    >> exchange of views very useful, leading to invaluable insights.
    >>
    >> Cameras are tools for me, and digital cameras, Fuji & Nikon, one for
street
    >> and one for wildlife, are my tools of choice at this point of time.
The
    >> Fuji GFX50S is tempting, and exerting a siren's song,  but I cannot
see how
    >> I have any use for it that makes it superior to my existing gear, for
my
    >> type of photography, and the sizes I print at present. A printer that
    >> accepts 24" wide paper, instead of 17" that my Epson 3885 uses might
be a
    >> better choice right now!
    >>
    >> I have a fair amount of film camera equipment gathering dust on my
shelves
    >> and in the bank locker, more, I am sure, than most of the most
committed
    >> film shooters around - Leica IIIF and IIIG, Nikon F Apollo. F2AS,
    >> F3Titanium, F4, F100, Canon and Nikon Rangefinders, Rollei TLRs,
Mamiya
    >> 645E - except for the Leicas, all of them were originally bought by my
    >> family - uncles, aunts, father, myself - and finally found their way
to me.
    >> Most of these are with me because I did not have the wit (or the
heart) to
    >> sell them in time. This after selling most of my Leica film equipment
in
    >> London a few years ago (M3, M2, R6.2 and 10 lenses)!
    >>
    >> Pens and watches, on the other hand, are hobbies, passions which make
them
    >> an emotional issue, while cameras are just a utilitarian one! I am
    >> particularly fond of JLR and IWC in watches, and Pelikan as well as
the
    >> Japanese trio, Namiki/Pilot, Sailor and Platinum as far as pens are
    >> concerned, and primarily these are what I use.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Jayanand
    >>
    >> On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Dan Khong <dankhong at gmail.com>
wrote:

    >>> Jayanand
    >>>
    >>> You might be more analog oriented than you think.
    >>>
    >>> I actually like collecting and using old fully mechanical watches
and apart
    >>> from the antique look, almost all that I have are accurate and they
run