Subject: [Leica] IMG: Testing SL For Milky Way Imaging
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:21:25 -0700

Thanks everyone. I did take some at 1600 ISO and shorter exposure (15 sec
rather than 20).  I'll see if that makes a difference.  It was an amazing
show; the center of the MW is finally visible at a somewhat reasonable hour
(12:30-3am). In February in Death Valley the MW did not "rise" until 3am...
fahgetabout that! This was spectacular.

There are star trails from the longer exposure, but only visible if you put
your nose on the screen. The shorter exposure may help with that. I also
probably over cooked the image in post. I've only had 2hrs sleep in the last
48hrs so I'm more than a bit woozy. Also the jpegs are very different than
the tiff files especially as regards noise.

If any of you are wanting to try this, the next 5 days should be amazing.
Wish I had the energy to go back! As an aside, it's been 110deg F here: 85
at 8,000'. But I got stuck in snow, had to be pulled out, and went a
different way. Nuts eh?

Thanks again all.

Bob Adler
www.robertadlerphotography.com