Subject: [Leica] URL: W Eugene Smith
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 01:12:42 -0500

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com>wrote:

>Thanks for sharing. He was always my favourite photographer, thanks to
>growing up with LIFE.
>Cheers
>Jayanand
===========================================================================================================
I too loved all his photo essays and was captivated by his life, so I
bought all the best books of his pictures and Jim Hugh's detailed biography.

Also, I was fortunate enough to be Gene Smith's "gofer" during his visit to
UWM to receive an honorary degree in 1976.

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Photographers/GeneSmith_21_AMR.jpg.html

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Photographers/EdFarber_GeneSmith_AMR.jpg.html

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Photographers/GeneSmith_13_AMR.jpg.html

At one point I was alone with him backstage just before he went out to give
his big talk, and we just stood together in silence (he had been
pummeled with questions and requests for two days, so I felt he needed the
quiet time).

--
Alan

(Retired)