Subject: [Leica] New Sony A7rIII
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 10:15:24 -0700

I do remember the Hassy medium format back that Frank is talking about.
That feature was used, if I recall correctly, primarily for product
photography, not moving subjects. But Sony may have figured something else
out; the company is no slouch at innovation. There are enough other
creative folks out there who will find a use for it, for example Milky Way
landscapes may work with this feature. I can't imagine it would work for
anything moving (including wind blown "stuff"), but believe me I've been
wrong too many times to count...

I also remember the scanning large format backs, at the beginning of the
digital age, that first scanned red, then green, then blue and combined
them into exquisite "large format" files. Problem was nothing could move
for the 10 minutes or so it took to take the image. Reminded me of the
beginning of photography where if you didn't sit still, you were a blur;
why people didn't smile. Took a lot of effort to hold a smile for a minute!
Easier to be stoic.

My medium format images result from stitching images side by side, not one
directly on top of the other. It can take me awhile to slide the digital
back through the lens' image circle, but each image is of a separate scene
with overlap from the prior image. So I'm stitching a panorama, The Sony
software may do the same thing, but it's laying one image on top of exactly
the same image moved by 1 pixel. Fidelity may improve but sharpness may
suffer. However, again, who knows what Sony has come up with...

TMI

And if you want 170MP files, you better have big walls!! Or a bridge in New
Yawk.

And I think Adam would be correct about needing a tripod.

Bob Adler
www.robertadlerphotography.com
*"Capturing Light One Frame At A Time"*