Subject: [Leica] another day another ongoing project
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 09:35:31 -0500

Hi Nathan, nobody denies the incredible power of todays smart phones.
Being able to explore the world's information, cultures, highways and even
fabulous wine purveyors on the fly is incredible.  What troubles me is the
burying of ones head in a screen to the detriment of personal interaction.
When my daughter was at the local international school in the mid 2000's
you could come into the school before classes and enjoy a raucous medley of
teenagers doing what young people have done for thousands of years.  Last
week I photographed the lifers(4k to 12th) at the school and the halls were
exceptionally quiet with all the faces planted in screens and headphones.

Recent studies are pointing to a lessoning of social bonds in the local
community as local interactions are greatly reduced.  Potentially leveling
is the finding that individuals are finding community in a larger
geographic region(s) but possibly limited to either affinity group or some
other narrowing criteria.

All the best.