I bought one of these from Amazon last year ($369).  Only over Christmas did
I get to really try it out..

I own a Noctilux, 3rd version. Not the new F0.95 version, but the 1.0
version.  I thought that maybe I could buy this cheapie, and sell off the
Nocti..   Put several thousand dollars back into the coffers...

I also own a 50mm F1.4 Summilux ASPH, the sharpest lens I have ever run
across.

My Monochrom is back from its stay in Allendale.. So it was the right time
to try the lens on the Monochrom body and run it against the Summilux.

The focus seems right on.  There is the possibility to adjust the RF cam,
but I did not have to do the adjustment, everything worked just fine.

I shot wide open. why else buy this lens?

There is a creamy edge to all of the images taken, from F1.1 to about F2.8
After that, the creaminess disappears.  It is a pleasant effect.  Soft
renditions of an earlier time and place.  But if you think this is in the
less well focused areas, you are wrong.  It is creamy all over.  Focused
areas or not...  May will love this for portraiture.  Maybe for some
landscapes.

But it you LOVE sharpness, and pursue tit with lenses like the 50 ASPH Lux,
this lens is so different it takes some time to comprehend.  I am not there
yet.

Do I like what I shot?  Depends, as a shot of my Son worked out real well.
But a shot of my future DIL was way more interesting ( technically?) but it
showed every pore on her face...   The shot of her with the 7 artisans, was
much smoother.  Of course, it also means there was nothing sharp.  So I like
everything smooth or everything sharp?

Not so sure yet..

Next thing to try out is the 7 Artisans against my Nocti.

Maybe this week...

BTW, the Techart Leica M to Sony A7II (and other) AF adapter worked real
well..   That was a real win.

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] 7 Artisans 50mm F1.1 Lens)