Subject: [Leica] M10 Monochrom oh yes!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 06:41:37 -0400

It?s the same speed but it can skip having to pass though various filters
first in the RGB Bayer process. It's just direct.
Makes for a far cleaner final result.
As I understand it demosaicing means anything blue in the image has to pass
through a red then green grid layer first.
Anything green has to pass though just the red gird layer one first.
And if it?s a red rose its fairly direct. Should look good.
A black and white sensor has none of that. No grids. No layers. Everything
direct.
Its keeping it simple stupid. I like that.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 3/31/18, 12:14 PM, "LUG on behalf of Paul Roark via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:59 AM, chris williams via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org
    > wrote:

    > ?...
    >

    > Leica was able to use some kind of sensor made in Belgium that was
    > strictly designed for monochromatic images.
    >
    > ?...

    Yes, but aside from not having an R, G or B filter over the pixel, the
    silicon is still the same speed as that under the filters of the color
    sensors.  The monochrome's native speed is higher only because it has no
    color filters over the pixels.  I don't think the Leica foundry has found
    any breakthrough to increase silicon's native light sensitivity.

    I'm not knocking the monochrome at all.  For street photography or where
    you don't need a filter, it's truly faster and a great tool for those
types
    of photography.

    Paul
    www.PaulRoark.com