Subject: [Leica] Nudes and rules and decency
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 21:03:12 -0700

It's my saloon. I'm the saloonkeeper and the bouncer.

It's hard to know where to draw the line about subject matter. I usually
figure that people will limit themselves. Sometimes they don't. I don't
mind nudes at all, but I won't tolerate nude children or people being
hurt or tortured with or without their clothes on, or taken advantage of
by predators. Yes, I know that there are serious artists who do those
things. Just not here.

About once every 3 years I have to blow the whistle and close a topic.
Usually that is because criticism and attacks are made in public when
they should be made in private. If you don't like what somebody is
saying or posting, don't tell the world how you feel. Tell them. CC me
if you like.

One of the reasons why you can't send attachments to the LUG is so you
can put in a warning if you think somebody might not want to look at
your image. "Do not click here if you ...". No images arrive directly in
your mailbox.

A dozen years ago about 15% of the LUG Gallery was nudes and erotica.  I
left it alone but watched access. In 2018 there are so many more places
to post pictures that my little gallery isn't the best choice any more.
Times change. Those images are elsewhere now.

What is most important to me is that you not attack each other in
public. That I will stop if I can. We are all different, but we must all
be polite and respectful.

Brian Reid
LUG Saloonkeeper

Message from ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka) ([Leica] "Monkey selfie" copyright case settled)