Subject: [Leica] It's all your fault
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 07:40:19 -0700

My issue is subtle but critical (to me at least). I use the "Classic
(Desktop)" version. I'm leery of clouds. I believe that there's really
no such thing as "the cloud"; there are just computers somewhere else
owned by somebody else that I access through networks I don't own or
control.

When you bring a photo into Lightroom, the original file is saved and
available, untouched.
When you edit the image, be it cropping or color balance or anything
else, those edits are not made to the actual image. They are stored as a
sequence of "change commands". This is convenient in that you can easily
back up and un-do change after change, or make a "virtual copy" of the
image in that state.

But an image "as edited" is not stored anywhere on the hard drive or
anything else, except for screen-resolution previews that speed up the
Library module. If I want to get a PSD or TIFF or JPG file of an edited
image, it is necessary to use Lightroom's "Export" command, which
applies all of the stored-up changes and produces a new file, which is
put onto my hard drive.

If I have edited an image but have not yet exported it for safekeeping,
there is no software in the world except Lightroom that can read the
edits and apply them to the original image. They are locked away in
Lightroom's database, which it calls a "catalog". If I lose access to
the software that can decode a Lightroom catalog, then I lose access to
my edits and therefore to the image as-edited.

What I have been doing until now is saving a Virtual Machine that, when
started up, becomes a version of MacOS that can run Lightroom 6 and has
a perpetually-licensed copy inside the VM. If the computer hosting it
rots away or explodes, I can run that Virtual Machine on some other
computer and still have access. The VM encoding that I use is not
proprietary; there are at least 2 noncommercial VM systems that can open
it. So I am protected against failure of computer hardware and VM
software. And until now, I was protected against failure of the
Lightroom app itself, because I've always had a pickled copy of LR
inside the saved VM. The new Adobe subscription scheme can make that
stop working, and there is nothing that I can do except pay.

So, yes, I don't use the cloud. I keep my images on my desktop computer
and on several external hard drives (including two ReadyNAS boxes in
separate buildings). Once a month I FedEx a hard drive to a relative on
the other side of the country. It's all safe. But now unless I pay my
protection money, I cannot preserve access to the edits I have made
unless I have exported the edited images and saved those  exports. I do
exactly that for my most important images, but I never know what
20-year-old image is going to become important next week.

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from keith at wesselphoto.com (Keith Wessel) ([Leica] It's all your fault)
Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] It's all your fault)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] It's all your fault)