Subject: [Leica] Phones
From: jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 19:25:08 -0400

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM John McMaster <john at mcmaster.co.uk> wrote:

> As a long term iPhone user, I hate Android ;-)  Some things are better,
> many are clunky IMO.

Interesting.  As a long-term Android user (but also long-term user of an
iPad as an auxiliary device), I'm often badly annoyed by iOS.  It seems
like a duller tool than modern Android releases;  klunky would indeed be
the word.  It often seems as if I need to use more gestures or gestures
which travel farther across the screen to do things on iOS which would be
more efficient on Android.  I frequently want to hurl the iPad across the
room, but remember that it was expensive and that I bought it to run a
couple of apps which are locked into the iOS ecosystem.

iOS and Android have both gotten better in a few ways, though, over the
years as they've continued to steal ideas from each other.  Er, I mean
"cross-pollinate".

I look forward to hearing how Tina gets on with her Samsung.  I expect some
initial frustration while learning different ways and finding substitute
apps, then a few weeks in she'll be able to judge properly.

I really hope Samsung has given up on their ugly and slow "TouchWiz" user
interface re-skinning of Android ? the stock user interface in recent
Android releases is clean and elegant;  TouchWiz has always seemed cartoony
and dumb to me.  I think integration of added cruft like TouchWiz also
tends to delay getting Android software updates through the pipeline and
out to users.  If you have a recent, supported phone you should presumably
be on Android 8.1 plus the June 5th security patches by now.

Oh, one tip:  if you're used to using Dark Sky in iOS for your hyperlocal
weather forecasting, look for Arcus in the Play Store for your Android
gizmo.

Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Phones)
Message from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Phones)
Message from john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster) ([Leica] Phones)