Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Gig economy protest at Barcelona
From: john at mcmaster.co.uk (John McMaster)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:34:03 +0000

Have you ever seen Taxi?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0152930/?ref_=nv_sr_5

john

-----Original Message-----
From: LUG [mailto:lug-bounces+john=mcmaster.co.uk at leica-users.org] On
Behalf Of Douglas Barry
Sent: 11 October 2018 15:17
To: lug at leica-users.org

We were in our hotel room in Barcelona when we heard the waspish noise
of a lot of two stroke motorbikes approaching on the Via Laeitana below.
The cacophony got louder and louder and then stopped just underneath the
bedroom window revving away while more and more joined in. It was fairly
deafening.

Opening the window I saw a protest by mainly Glovo couriers gathered
en-masse, but it included a few Deliveroo ones too. They were unhappy at
the income they were getting under the gig economy. Income in these jobs
seems attractive until you factor in maintenance costs and depreciation.
Most join up and discover the economic reality too late.

Gig economy protest on Via Laeitana, Barcelona in September 2018. I took
a few shots from above them, and then ran down to get among them on the
street below. Has nine photos.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Spain/Barcelona+2018/Protest/?g2_statusId=x81b9223e&g2_navId=x6ab5b380

Fuji X100S. Can be seen LARGE.

After about 20 minutes of revving, they moved off down the long Via
Laeitana gathering more protesters as they went.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] IMGs: Gig economy protest at Barcelona)
Reply from photo.philippe.amard at gmail.com (Philippe) ([Leica] IMGs: Gig economy protest at Barcelona)