Subject: [Leica] Stolen SL system, in Iceland
From: ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 17:09:53 +0000

Well, that was fast.

It was just a month ago that I got a Leica for the first time in my hands
in years, after losing everything and more in a divorce.

I was visiting Sk?gafoss waterfalls in Iceland today. After returning to
the car, putting the camera in the bag in the back seat, we were approached
by a young woman perhaps 25-30 years old, with long wavy brown hair, with
light brown skin, who spoke with a thick non-Slavic Eastern European
accent, from the passenger side.

She appeared to be pointing out to something about our rental car. I got
out of the car to look at what she was trying to say, sounding like she was
saying that there was something wrong with the car and it was dangerous.

The one minute interaction with her created an opportunity for her
accomplice to take the bag from the back seat, even with my girlfriend in
the car.

I did not notice the loss until our next stop a half an hour later, but
lost in the black Billingham Hadley Pro bag were:

SL 4964347
Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 4527732
Summilux-SL 50 4642333

Of course, the worst loss was the images I had taken today. The waterfalls
were tremendous, and the images are lost.

Compared to the losses I suffered to my ex and her attorney, the financial
value is nothing. However, this was quite a shock to experience this in
Iceland of all places. Clearly, the woman was not local, and probably works
the tourist spots in the area. When I went to the police station to report
the crime, I was told that there had been a series of car break-ins and
thefts during this Christmas holiday season.

Beware, all.

--
Ken Iisaka
first name at last name dot org or com