Subject: [Leica] IMG: Barrow's Goldeneye
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 08:38:07 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Winter visitors to Sacramento County's wilder areas include Common Goldeneye
and the relatively scarce Barrow's Goldeneye, both diving ducks who breed in
the northern areas of the continent.

I located a spot where the Barrow's Goldeneye like to feed, with good
lighting, backgrounds, few humans and easy access. The access factor turns
out to be as critical as the others because I've had to make several visits
to the site to get any photos I like.

On my first visit to scout the location I didn't have a blind with me so the
birds had wanted nothing more than to stay away.

On my second visit, I brought camouflage netting which showed some promise
but I had limited time available.

On my third visit I brought the netting and a comfortable ground-level seat
but the netting was insufficient to allow the ducks to be comfortable with
the two-legged intruder.

On my fourth visit I brought the seat and a more substantial portable blind.
This did the trick. And I was glad I'd kept a comfortable backpack in the
camper.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/bagold03.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/bagold04.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/bucephala/bagold05.html