Subject: [Leica] Lens coding
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 02:04:38 -0700

To fellow digital M users:? What do you folks do about lens coding?

Some of my lenses are coded, some aren't.? My general sense is that 35mm
and shorter lenses need to be coded to avoid cyan drift in the outer
regions. But for 50mm and longer, it doesn't matter much unless one
cares that the EXIF data contains the correct focal length. I've found
that when I'm changing lenses in fast situations, I can't count on
always changing the manual lens ID in the menu.

I'm planning to get a couple of Fotodiox PRO adapters for my 50 and 90mm
LTM lenses.? Their reviews on the B&H site seem to be mostly positive,
unlike some other brands. Can anyone here verify this or suggest a
better alternative?

As for my still uncoded M-mount lenses, I'm torn between coding them
myself, leaving them alone, or getting them coded professionally.
Choices include:

- Have Leica do it, at I believe, $300 dollars a pop.
- An independent repair person like DAG, or, who else?
- Buy lens flanges with coding pits from eBay and install and paint them
myself. (beware Chinese quality control?)
- Using my M coder template and an oil-based industrial marker to code
the lenses myself. I've done this before, but it is painstaking,
requires some trial and error, and has to be redone periodically.

Advice based on personal experience would be appreciated.? Thanks!

--Peter

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Lens coding)
Reply from j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz) ([Leica] Lens coding)
Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Lens coding)