To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, MBell@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject: Re: M3 DS problems, questions
From: Pablo_Mendoza@ROOSEVELT-PROVOST.ucsd.edu
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:59:00 -0800

     The person who told you that the silver is flaking off is correct.  It
     is a common occurrence on rangefinders over time.  It is fairly easy
     to repair if you send it to a good Leica repair person.  I would
     recommend Dan Goldberg (DAG) in the Midwest, he specializes in Leica.
     On the West Coast, there used to be Rudy Lang, Leica trained
     technician, but I think that he has retired.The cost for resilvering
     was about $150.00 in 1987, when I had that done to my M3. It could be
     more now (the work was done by E.Leitz).

     The Dual Range Summicron is not worth that much in Southern
     California, unless it is sealed in its box, with cards, never touched.
     The going rate for the lens is $350.00 in excellent condition, $800 in
     pristine, essentially untouched condition, with rangefinder included.

     As someone who is turning 33 in two months, I wouldn't be too
     concerned about your age on this list.  I started working with Leicas
     in 1984 while an undergrad.  I then had the good fortune of working in
     a camera store between 1985-87 and getting involved with Leica then.
     I've had an M3, two CLs and an M6 and a number of lenses.  I scrounged
     every penny to get these bodies and the lenses.  One item a year is
     usually all I can afford now that I work at a university and must pay
     bills, like every one else here.  Everyone here has different
     experiences with Leicas and we all learn from each other.

     Hope this helps.  If you want Dan Goldberg's phone and address, let me
     know, I'll find it in my files somewhere.

     Pablo
     pmendoza@ucsd.edu