To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Collapsible Summicron hood & lenscap problems
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:36:13 -0400

I found that the hood itself can be unscrewed from the ferral on a number of
Leitz hoods and a different hood can be put in place of it. I exchanged such
hoods between the 50mm Elmar and the 90mm f4 Elmar. I'm only acquainted with
Leica M lenses designed for the M bayonet mount. Conceivably, the same system
may also apply to the later f camera lenses.

Some time ago an outfit made metal hoods for Leica lenses that collapsed.
They operated like a venetian blind. I only have one and use it with my 2.8
50mm Elmar. I've never been able to figure out how it works, but it does. I
don't use a lens cap because I protect the entire camera with a leather case
that I modified for the M3. A UV filter has always defended the lens
effectively.

Bob R