Subject: Air war
From: creadick@mindspring.com (Nowell & Jennifer Creadick)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:48:03 -0500 (EST)

At 8:11 AM 3/12/97, Chuck Warman wrote:
>At 10:59 PM 3/11/97 -0700, TAFKAB  wrote:
>>Now what's wrong? These guys can ramble on for a week about corney,
>>futuristic, antimatter bullshit and no one says "boo". Oddmund, once again
>>showing how intelligent and sensitive he is a a human being, writes a well
>>thought out, articulate message about the value of seeing and we get
>>"Ohellherewegoagain"?
>>
>>I think Oddmund is cool. He actually has something to say and that bothers
>>people. If he hurt some of your feelings, get over it. I've been trashed by
>>guys like Beamon, Gandy, Small - you think I care? No. Do I smirk and
>>grumble every time one of them writes something I don't like? No. You cannot
>>go through life carrying a grudge against everyone who ever pissed you off.
>>If you do you negate whatever clarity and wisdom you've managed to gather
>>thus far - you become clouded and bitter.
>>
>>Let it go. Let Oddmund be Oddmund. The guy knows he is unpopular, yet he
>>stands up and lets his voice be heard. What's so god damned wrong with that?
>
>Ben,
>
>Here's what's wrong with that: the guy will destroy the list before he's
>done.
>
>The pattern is like this:  his posts start out a little rough, but they're
>basically OK.  Then they grow more supercilious, more sneeringly
>condescending, more abrasively anti-American, until a Roger or a Marc (or a
>Chuck) blows a gasket, and the list erupts in a flamewar. Oddmund then
>"leaves town" for a week or two, "comes back," posts non-controversially
>for a few days, and then starts the process all over again.  If you've
>saved the posts, go back and look.
>
>Like you, I don't mind being trashed. I'm on several political lists, and
>I'm used to it.  But *this* list can't stand these constant guerilla
>attacks. He'll take it down, Ben, laughing the whole time.  THAT'S "what's
>so god damned wrong with that."
>
>Chuck

I can understand being taken down by a superior wrestler but not by someone
posting some words on a list like this.  If you get taken down then you are
letting yourself be taken down....you are losing to nothing.  I have
learned to use the delete button automatically whenever I see certain posts
that I know may irritate me and it has made this list much more fun for me.

I also take great pride in the American tradition of letting people say
whatever they want and living with the irritations that causes sometimes.
Stay Ben....I know many of us have really enjoyed your input...Nowell

Chapel Hill, NC

Although love may fail, courtesy should prevail.