Subject: Re: obsolete M6?
From: "gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:14:16 +0200

Yes, Bob

I think you have hit the nail on the head.. your PC is obsolete. Modern
cameras are becoming litle more than a PC with a film holder and lens
holder. The problem is that electronics just keeps on changing. I am a pro
photographer and use Leica M's, and Nikons. Despite all the electronic
marvels to be found on most of the new Nikons, I still use Nikon F2's
(1970's) with non-metering heads in the studio. They offer some
functionality which is very important but rare on newer cameras (some Nikon
pro models excluded). eg. Mirror lock-up and close to 100% viewfinder view.
They also run without batteries which is sometimes useful. So, I think
progress does not make the older designs obsolete. I mean, you now get AF
fisheye and ultra-wide lenses. For what? I think it's just technology for
technology's sake and it doesn't necessarily improve anything.

PS. I still believe a good incident light meter beats in-camera meters
hands down for most purposes. I use one all the time and rarely use the
fancy meters in the cameras!!!!!

Best wishes

Harold