Subject: [none]
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 17:13:59 -0400

FA-Rivers3 on Sun, 06 Jul 1997 18:57:22 -0400)
Subject: Re: Leica R7

    Date: Sun, 06 Jul 1997 18:57:22 -0400
    From: FA-Rivers3 <FA-General#010@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>

    I'm thinking of getting my first Leica, an R7.  What do you think
    of the camera? What lenses should I buy?  Will I have trouble
    wearing eye glasses?

Some people swear by the R7, including a guy who used to post quite
often on this list before he sold his Leicas and bought autofocus
cameras (shame, that -- I enjoyed reading his postings).  I've never
used an R7, and it's a bit of an oddball, in that the body is a little
taller than the R4, R4s, R4s Mod 2, R5, R6, and R6.2.  This means that
the winder handle and never-ready cases for the earlier cameras won't
fit it well.  On the other hand, it has TTL fill flash capabilities
and mirror pre-fire, which is good.

Like the R6 and (I believe) the R5, the R7 has a diopter adjustment in
the VF, so if your vision impairment is a simple one, you won't need
to wear your glasses with it.  It does not have a "high-eyepoint"
finder, so you will not be able to see all of the frame while wearing
glasses without moving your eye around.

Probably the most prized lenses for the R cameras are the 100/2.8 APO
macro, the 15/3.5 rectilinear lens made by Zeiss, the 70-180/2.8 APO
zoom, the 280/2.8 APO, the 400/2.8 APO, the... well, there are a lot
of them, and many are tremendously expensive.  You probably need to
say more about your budget and needs before anyone can recommend
lenses to you.

- -Patrick