Subject: Re: Broke Down & Bought a Leicaflex SL
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 97 20:04:44 MDT

Curt,

I agree that the 135mm/2.8 lens makes sense on an SL. It is small and not=
 as bulky as one of the 180mm lenses.  However, its main asset is that =
it is affordable. This focal length appears to be an orphan.

By the way, do you still have the 135mm Tele-Elmarit-M?

Anyway, the SL cameras are great, except for the fact that they require =
mercury-oxide batteries. I prefer to use the M camera for most things. =
However, there are times when the SL is better. For example, it can be =
used with the Bellows II via the 14167 adapter. Then, one can even use =
the 135mm lens heads and the 65mm Elmar, a great lens. Or, you can use =
the focusing adapter from the Visoflex. Incidentally, an SL appears to =
cost less than the Visoflex III.

Best of Light,

Chris

- ----------
> Hi Group,
>
> I recently bought a mint SL recently on which to mount a 135/2.8, a foc=
al
> length I get no satisfaction using on my M bodies.  I absolutely love =
this
> camera - reminds me of the best of the best from my teenage years as =
a tyro
> (wishing I could own this instead of my Spotmatic).  One thing I'm look=
ing
> forward to is using my Hasselblad lenses on this body with one of those
> Zorkendorfer mounts (even shifts!).
>
> Wow, is this Heaven or what?
>
> Curt
>
> Chris wrote:
>
> >In my opinion, Richard should have explained to his wife that the SL =
is a
> >real classic that will probably never wear out. Besides it is a good
> >investment. Today's electronic cameras may not have spares available =
in just
> >a few years. Did we not hear some complaints about the Minolta CLE?
> >
> >IMHO, the SL is a great deal. The SL2 is better, but you have to look =
harder
> >to find one and pay much more money. On the other hand, the SL2 is a =
little
> >more compatible with the later R cameras. In terms of viewfinder perfo=
rmance
> >and light-meter sensitivity, the SL2 compares very well with the new =
R8.