Subject: Egypt; bit long beware
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 97 00:35:08 -0700

> Hi LUG,
>
> I am going for a 3 week journey to Egypt.

I began to write this reply in my mind as I drove down the freeway on a
hazy hot spring morning becoming increasingly jealous, when the random
choice genie of the CD player brought up JSB and "lch Habe Genug". How like
Mr JSB to remind me of all my blessings. So with a restored Karma I want to
give you some thoughts on Egypt.
We travelled from Aswan to Cairo with Swann-Helenic. In doing it this way
you travel against chronology starting with the "Modern" Egypt and moving
back in time to the cradle of civilisation. If I had a choice I would
travel South and move through Egypt and time in synchrony but it is no big
deal and this way you end up in Giza and can do the museum with more
understanding.
Egypt has been a tourist Mecca since the Greco-Roman days and for good
reason. For those of us with a love for photography it is even better. The
light is clear, the colours are vibrant and the shapes and contrasts are
great for b/w. I travelled with Minolta SLR and CLE and with the 3.5F
Rollei. My Kodachrome slides are great but my 120 shots were a revelation
to me as I had never used a TLR before.  I used it mainly for portraits 90%
of which I could take without the "knowledge" of the sitter. This made for
some very natural images and saved me quids on tips ;-)
We travelled in great style making friends with unlikely walks of life. I
suspect that we were the only "paupers" on the cruise ;-)  I was able to
handle all the latest Japan had to offer, but most of those interested in
photography would remark "Rollei-I had one for years and I wish I still
used it." I was accredited with greater acumen than anyone with modern
gear--only wish I'd had Leicas in those days.
Highlights [ before this gets too long];
1. the people especially the children ; outside the city you will see real
life scenes identical to those on the walls of the temples. Little has
changed. (if I ever go again I will try to capture better scenes of rural
life on the banks of the Nile and set them against the temple decorations.)
2. The proximity of the desert to the fertile flooded pastures- I never
really captured that well.
3. The rising salt table and rapid destruction of 3000 years of history-
get there quickly !
4. Any and all of the temples but Kom Ombo in the early morning light was
fantastic.
5. An over-heard comment viz: "I wonder what we will leave behind for
visitors to see in 3000 years." to which someone replied "Nuclear waste?"

Strangely I was planning an exhibition of my Rollei prints in Egypt when I
update my home page at the start of November. I will let you know when they
are up!

Oh I'd say the M series Leica would be ideal for Egypt. There is little
need for long telephoto lenses, and for portrait work and carrying, it
would be ideal [but I'd still take a Rollei ;-)]

Alastair Firkin,