Subject: Re: Ricoh lens
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:31:49 -0400 (EDT)

Jeremy, I have a 28/2,8 Ricoh GR lens and have used it for a month now. The
lens is a screwmount version of the point and shoot camera GR-1 lens. It was
released earlier this year in Japan in chrome finish and also in a limited
edition in black. Optically it is a very good lens, it does not have the "
snap" of the latest 28/2,8 Elmarit but it is also only 1/2 the size and 1/2
the price. Due to too  much work I have only managed to shoot 10-12 rolls
with it, but i did run some Tech-Pan and also some Delta 100 through my M6's
with the lens and it is good. I am particularly impressed with the mechanical
quality. The hood is strong enough to withstand whatever is launched towards
it, the finder could be better, particularly the brightlines in it, but then
the latest 24 mm finder from Leica is no great shakes either. One interesting
feature of the lens is the aspherical surface on the back element and also
the small front element versus the "oversized" rear one. There are several
LTM lenses being made in Japan. Hexanon (Konica) makes a 50/2,4 six element,
collapsible lens in screwmount and did release a screwmount version of the
35/2 version in limited quantity last year. Once the current backorder
situation for my Rapidwinders eases off i will be able to do some serious
shooting with the Ricoh and do direct comparisons with the Elmarits. I will
be taking the Ricoh lens to the Leica Historical Society's meeting in
Charlotte, North Carolina this weekend. On a black M2 it really looks strange
and will confuse some collectors.
Tom A