Subject: Re: Ted & Sniping and R8s!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 00:32:40 -0500

Eric wrote:

<<<<I just bought a Leica R8 and 180 Elmarit and 90 Summicron! I'm about as
excited as I've been in a long time.>>>>>

Eric:   Important message here: Don't get overly excited! :) And we all
know how difficult that is for you. :)  Just sit there stay calm and stroke
that baby and you'll hear it purr! :)

Congratulations!!! Another winner amongst us! You'll love it even if you
have to use your thumb for awhile to advance film. :) Best bet on the
winder? Well seeing October has come and gone and we're well into November.
How about February '98! :(  Motor, maybe June? And I haven't any inside
track to say otherwise. :)

Now the next thing you'll need for it is the all matt ground glass screen!
100% better than the regular screen.  That is unless you prefer the
standard split image distracting centre circle thingie in the middle of the
screen that isn't worth a damn anyway! And all in one breath!:)

Flash?  I use the Metz 40 Mz2, but I understand there is a 50 Mz2,3? some
configuration like that.  But with either of them you absolutely have to
use the SCA3501 adapter for the hotshoe! It gives you all the controls for
balancing and cutting output for fine tuning. Quite an efficient control
rig. It is partially explained in the R8 instruction book.

Others who are regular users of flash may have better ideas on using it.

I, (damn I hate to admit that I use flash!) :)  put everything on auto and
let the flash and camera work it out themselves, it seems to be fine.  When
I try to be serious, not often, I set the camera on "T" turn on the 3501
adapter and cut the output to however I feel it shoud be balanced for best
effect inrelation to the subject.

Good luck with it, as I'm sure you'll find it truly is a very fine and well
made camera.

ted