Subject: Re: [Leica] Chance from R to Nikon?
From: John_McLeod@designlink.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:59:02 -0800

God knows Eric and Ted have tried valiently to persuade me not to do this, but
I just ordered an F5.  No plans to sell the Leica R equipment though (and still
have an M6).  But I need/want autofocus, a better flash system, autoexposure,
and the ability to build a complete system without breaking the bank.

Why Nikon?  Sentimentality and (maybe) less plastic than Canon.  Re
sentimentality, I used Nikon from 1975 to 1990.  I switched to Leica because I
didn't like Nikon's early efforts in autofocus, because their build quality
seemed to be going down, and because someone loaned me an M4 and old 50
Summilux for a day -- took Kodachromes of my friend in front of a pink wall
with both the Summilux and a 50/1.4 Nikkor.  The Nikkor rendered the wall
almost blue/black, the Leica slide came out pink.  Hmmmm I said.

Then to satisfy my urges for autofocus/exposure, I bought a Canon EOS-1n about
two years ago (the F4 seemed too big and slow).  Great camera, excellent
ergonomics, sharp lenses (but lots of light fall off wide open), focusing in
the same direction as Leica, decent flash system.   Probably should have kept
it, but sold it.  Why?  Sentimentality (I'm a Nikon and Leica guy) and
everything on that Canon system felt lightweight and made of plastic.  Not that
there's anything wrong with that (as Jerry Seinfeld would say).  The EOS-1n
took great pictures -- I just didn't enjoy using it.  I know I may feel the
same way about the F5 and Nikon lenses after a few months use.  We'll see.  But
sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

Still love the Leica equipment very much.  But try taking a photo of my 15
month old son with an all-manual R6.  When I tell him "Move slower John Clark!"
 he just won't listen :)

John McLeod