Subject: Re: [Leica] offtopic:travelling to Malaysia
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:19:37 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ferdinand U. LuDo <fld@mozcom.com>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
I'd just like to know if anyone on this list have been to or is from
>Malaysia / Kuala Lumpur?

I only got to spend an afternoon, not far from the border with Singapore. We
visited a farmer's market, which was situated in a newish, open-air concrete
structure about 4 stories high. This area was lush, green and more suburban
than anything else. Evidently, they do not see many tourists in that area
(it was decidedly non-touristy), as my Nikon F4 attracted a good deal of
attention. No doubt, this would be less of an issue in a city. I hope that
my snapping away was not improper--certainly our local guide did not seem to
think it was an issue.

It's quite a melting pot there, culturally, with Indian, Japanese, Chinese
and other influences, and a good mix of Bhuddist and Islamic religions.

Those accustomed to dealing with tourists seemed to favor American Dollars,
and I guess that would be especially true now

I had a 35-70/2.8 Nikkor at the time, and made good use of it's entire
range, plus it's close-focus abilities. But it's big and heavy. If you visit
any open markets, you'll want at least !SO 100 film and f/2.8 lens speed.