Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] 90/2.0
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 12:52:23 -0500

     Tony,

     You say you "hope [you] will become a great photographer," but that
     you are "still in the stage that [you] take photos because the scene
     'moves' [you, and you]...hardly think about the theme before [you]
     press the shutter."  And you ask whether "a great photographer would
     always have a theme in his/her photos...Or...just REALIZE the theme
     after they develop the photos?"

     I'd suggest that you NOT worry about any themes when you are taking
     photographs.  Thinking consciously about themes can be detrimental to
     the work of even those who may have the time for it (e.g., writers or
     painters).  But as a photographer "carry[ing] cameras...everyday and
     tak[ing] lots of photos," you don't have that kind of time---if you're
     thinking about themes, you're probably missing "decisive moments."  An
     artist is a manipulator of a medium (whether words in a novel, paint
     on a canvas, notes in a symphony, or image in a photograph), nothing
     more, but also nothing less---that's what he's dedicated to.  If you
     take photos because the scene moves you, you're probably on the right
     track.  If you still "hardly find one photo that [you] really like,"
     maybe you need to go from taking pictures simply because the "scene"
     itself moves you, to taking them because the image you preview in the
     viewfinder moves you (but I don't know and am just guessing from what
     you said).  Yet in any case, just take the pictures you like, and let
     the themes fall where they may.  Figuring out themes is the business
     of those people who are looking at photographs, not those taking them.

     Art Peterson