Subject: [Leica] European vacation
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:21:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi Bud,

May and September are probably the best months to travel in Europe.
Late June is the peak tourist season.

I was there last September and October and I will be back this year in
late August and most of September traveling and working in Scandinavia
and Germany.

Mark your calendar, Photokina (the worlds largest camera show) will be
held in Koln (Cologn) this year September 16 through 20.  I am not
sure about dates, but Photokina has a web site you can logon to.

The great thing about September is that the sun is lower in the sky,
giving you great light most of the day.  There are wonder festivals
and markets, that afford you unmatched photo-ops.  Check with the
tourist offices for information on Harvest, wine & cattle  festivals.

When going to Europe, you want to take lots of film.  The general rule
is, "Figure out how much film you will need and then DOUBLE  that
amount".

A 35mm and a 90mm lens are all you really need.  If you are shooting
an R you may also what to consider taking a 70-210 or similar
zoom...in addition to the 35 & 90.

If you have not traveled in France before, you will find the people to
be not as friendly as they are in Germany, Switzerland, Austria,
Scandinavia etc.

My suggestion would be to fly into Germany and rent a car there.  Car
rentals are always cheaper there and usually there are good airfares
available.  In addition to the major carriers, call LTU German Airways
for ticket prices.  The good thing about flying into Germany and
getting a car there is that you can get the car in one city and drop
it off in another city and there is no drop charge.  You can also fly
into one city and leave from another at no extra cost.  For car
rentals I use Meier's International out of LA.  They are a broker that
will get you a Hertz car at a big discount.

There is a lot of free travel information at http://www.ftns.com.

Let me know what questions you have and maybe I can give you some
ideas that will same you time and money.

Also, remember that Oktober Fest begins about September 24th.  Check
with the German tourist office in NY or LA, they will send you a ton
of information.

Kind regards,
Bill Erfurth