Subject: Re: [Leica] 24 Elmarit f2.8 ASPH
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:30:32 +0200

This could be of interest to all on the list.

On 05-04-1998 15:58 TEAShea wrote:

>Pascal, thanks for the information.  What do you think of CDI reports?

Their tests seem scientific to me. I read a complete report in their
magazine about how they are testing lenses, and it looks like serious to
me. However, their lens reports do show one weakness: there are no
separate graphs for sharpness and contrast. They combine both into one
chart per aperture. This is excellent for the average public, but not for
those who want to go in-depth.
Star ratings should only be compared within a given class of lenses
(lenses within the same aperture class) because for stars they take the
average of the quality at three apertures. As you would expect the "light
giants" that open at 1.4 are often penalized in this way.
Another point: they not only give star ratings for optical/mechanical
quality, but also for price/performance and c=F4te d'amour (=3D subjective
feeling about how they like a given lens). I could except the
price/performance ratio, but have sometimes problems with the c=F4te
d'amour, which is of course subjective.
They also continually note about Leica (and Contax for that mather)
lenses that they are way too expensive compared with almost-as-good
offerings form other manufacturers.

Pascal

Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !