Subject: Re: [Leica] A "real" meter
From: guitar@cc.wwu.edu (David Feingold)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 07:38:54 -0700

>David,
>
>Both the MR and MR4 meter are labeled MR on the back of the meter.  Both
>meters are essentially the same, but differ in the cofiguration of the meter
>activation switch.  The MR has a plunger type activating switch protruding
>from the side of the meter.  This is just fine for an M2 or M3, but with the
>canted rewind knob of the M4 and later cameras, this plunger interferes with
>the operation of the rewind knob.  The MR4 meter addressed this problem by
>moving the activating switch to the top of the meter.  Both the MR and MR4
>meters were availabale in bright chrome, black chrome and black paint finish.
>
>The switch on the front of the meter is the battery check.  If the needle does
>not deflect down to the silver dot on the scale when this switch is pushed,
>then either the battery is dead or there is a problem with the meter.
>
>As far as batteries are concerned, Saunders distributes a cell called the Wein
>Air Cell as a direct replacement for the Mercury 625 cell.
>
>Hope this answers your questions.
>
>Bill Rosauer
Dear Bill,
Thanks so much for your response. Indeed the the rewind suffers from
becoming tucked away, and considering that speed and efficiency are so
integral apart of the M design, I was curious about that detail.
For now this will be ok for casual fun, perhaps one day I'll get a "real" M6.
Actually I really enjoy the combination of this camera with the very
portable Luna-Pro Digital.
Thanks again.
DF