Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Slide Scanners
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 20:13:05 +0100

Francesco wrote:

>Why is it that all the negative points you raise about the Polaroid
>35 Plus have nothing to do with image quality?  Who cares where
>the power button is or if you can turn the darn thing on its side or
>not?  What about image quality, resolution, density, etc.?
>When you get back to the subject at hand.....scanning ability.....
>the Polaroid wins hands down.  I have owned them all....I speak
>from experience.

Francesco - you should have learnt by now in this Leica group that personal
taste counts for a lot.
If you find the Polaroid is for you, fine. That doesn't mean that it's the
only scanner in town - personally I find the Nikon excellent, but mainly
because the combination of hardware and software is so good. In the end the
numbers means very little. It's ease of use and quality of results which
count.

I've never been interested in lines per mm as a means of evaluating lenses.
There are many other factors which make up a lens which is capable of
producing a truly satisfying picture. That's why Leica glass is justly
famous, and some N**** glass too.

I was looking back on the roll call we did a while ago, and it's
fascinating what a great mixture of ages, professions and interests we have
in this group. But it's only a community if we all respect the other guy's
(or gal's) point of view, even if we don't agree with it. When on occasion
we've lost sight of that, you've seen the results.

If I were you I'd stick with the Polaroid - it's a great camera.....;-?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Waterfall