Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilfochrome Question
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:48:00 -0700

Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net> asked:
>Here are some questions in this regard:
>
>1) Is it possible to control the contrast of Ilfochrome prints?   If so,
>how difficult a procedure is it?

Fair prints can be made without it, but you will probably want better than
"fair"  Contrast control is essential in making excellent Ilfochromes.  In
addition to the method described by Tina Manley, making unsharp masks using
T-Max or fine grain release positive film and stacking with the original
slide in register produces fine results.  Another technique is called
flashing, where you pre-expose the paper to a low level of white light.  It
tends to holds the highlights while stretching the shadows a little.  Either
method is not particularly difficult but some experimentation is needed.

>2) Are some film types more suitable for Ilfochrome prints?  K64 rather
>than K25 for example?

The less contrasty the original slide, the easier to make quality prints.
Some folks like Fuji Velvia, others stand firm on K64.  I'd suggest sticking
to what works best for you and refining your printing techniques around
those choices.

>3) What major steps/components are eliminated in making positive to
>positive prints?  For example, do you still need a color head on the
>enlarger, is temperature control as critical, etc?

The P-30 chemical process is very temperature tolerant.  Warm room
temperature will produce fine results.  The process itself is simple.  A
color head is *very* convienent, but not absolutely required.  To put it
another way, I'd get one if I could but i wouldn't let not having one stop
me from printing slides.  Gel filters work well but they are a pain to use
and keep dust and smudge-free.

One other observation - the chemicals are very smelly, at least to me.  Its
not a completely bad small but quite strong.  Do follow the disposal
guidelines carefully, especially if you live in a rural area and use a
septic system.  Happy printing.

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.