Subject: [Leica] KL Malaysia Leica count!
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant98@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 23:28:14 PDT

Hi gang,

As we reach  the last day of the XVI Commonwealth Games here in Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia the count of Leica gear is:

1 R8 stolen. (yours truly) :(

1 R8 user found, BF. (before theft)

1 M6 user as above (Carried both M6 and R8)

1 M6   Carried by a sports photographer who upon seeing my M6 unzipped
his fanny pack and showed me his M6 tucked in for emergency
situations.

So after 12 days since Opening ceremonies 11 Sept. there it is.

   3 M6's   2 R8's.

I had photographers keeping an eye open for Leica gear (particularly
mine after I got ripped off) but they didn't see any.

Do we need to be concerned that we on the LUG are the Leica survivors of
the world? :)  Not likely, as this isn't a heavy duty Leica event being
a sports venue, but it sure as heck is very big time Canon location! :)

The equiment change might occur if Leica were to find a high speed A/F
system for the R8 or some other R body configuration, allowing the  use
of our existing lenses. Not likely considering they have to get a motor
drive out first. 2000?

Gee maybe for the next millinium, 3000?:)

Anyway there it is from here in hot and humid beautiful Malaysia. I'll
be home in good ole Victoria west coast Canada on Wednesday and looking
forward to it. Despite my R8 loss, this has been a great country and
wonderful people to work and live with for the past 6 weeks. A land for
Leica lovers picture taking!

Any of you folks looking for a different loction to burn film through
those Leica's, this truly is a land of tremendous photo opportunities.
My regret is I wont have the time to be able to truly make use of the
location that I would like to have.

But then I'll see a bunch of you on Cape Cod next week at the Leica
seminar and that'll make up for the time missed here. :)

see you all,

ted