Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo-Telyt Module-System ?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:49:20 -0500

At 03:58 PM 9/22/98 +0200, you wrote:

>interesting Apo-Telyt Module-System with an explanation of how to
>combine lens head 280/400/560 and focus module 1x to get a listed "280mm
>f2.8 Apo Telyt Module-System" (see
>http://www.leica-camera.com/r_system/robj_e.htm)
>that comparison. But, till the contrary is proven, it seems I was right
>in believing that the "280mm Apo-Telyt" should, by default and in the
>current line, be considered as a f4 lens.

Okay, I understand. Yes, you have to by the head and back to get a 280 2.8.
But that's pretty much splitting hairs. I can find several 280 2.8s on the
web used, and the price is $3,495, about $1,000 more than a comparable
Nikon or Canon used lens. Sure it's not the newest. But see the price of
the Nikkor AF-S 300 2.8? Only $2,000 less than the Leica. Considering the
limited production of the Leica, and the constantly on back order Nikkor,
that isn't all that much to expect to pay for a Leica. And the Leica module
system lets you add pieces on. The 400 2.8 head is added for less money
than the Nikkor whole lens. (Or Canon). So pros, who often own more than
one lens will find themselves saving money, and quite a bit of weight if
they own multiple mega-long lenses. (A Canon 600 f/4 is $10,000, Nikkor
AF-S $9,000). I think it's a good solution for Leica.

See you around.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO