Subject: Re: [Leica] moving to Leica SLR ...a few tips please...
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 17:57:35 -0700

At 04:34 PM 10/5/98 -0700, you wrote:

>>I just worry because I hear so much about the lens tests and ratings
>>of M lenses, but not much on R lenses.  I want to make sure I am getting
>>THE BEST of Leica.....if the best lenses are M, I will go with M.
>>If R lenses are coming out ahead, I will choose R.
>>
>>Francesco

It boils down to what you like, NOT what someone else, or the magazines
like. There are hundreds of different measurements that clinically
determine a lens' quality. Scientifically speaking. This does not
necessarily translate into human useful or desirable properties. No one can
tell you which camera or lens is the best. I have favorite lenses. My two
most favorite: the 35/1.4 ASPH M, and the 100/2.8 APO R. The M and R
cameras are different. Different purpose behind their existence. You are
going to have to understand your photographic need, your style, your
outlook, before you can effectively choose a system. Even if you happen to
choose lenses such as the 100 APO Macro, a watershed event for Leica, you
still have to use it 100% correctly to be able to extract, to the fullest,
what Leica has offered. Carbon or wood tripod, weight on tripod center
post, mirror lock-up, cable release, Velvia or similar film, no filter...
the works. Anything less and you might as well buy a 90, 100/4, or 135 for
a lot less money. The utmost in performance is only detectable if you use
the utmost in care. Re: Erwin Putz and I 100% concur.

Jim

Jim Brick
(650) 470-1132

http://www.photoaccess.com