Subject: Re: [Leica] LeicaCard Meeting> finally an answer from Solms!
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:59:42 +0200

Pascal,

This type of experience shows why it is not necessarily a bad thing that the new
head of Leica is an outsider with no background in the photo industry. Leica is
a product-driven company; it has brilliant lens designers whose attitude seems
to be that they are doing all of us a favour by allowing us to pay through the
nose for their wonderful lenses. If it is true that the new 2.8/35-70mm R lens
is only going to be made in limited quantities, that just confirms my point. It
is obvious that Leica needs to focus on the traditional business disciplines of
marketing, finance, customer service etc. The products are marvellous; the
service behind them spotty at best. Take the Leica Card as an example; I just
signed up for it, but I had to do some convincing to be allowed to fork over my
180 DM, since the programme is meant only for German customers. This is
insane!!!

So, I hope that the new CEO can make the company realise that they are in
business because of us, and that their sole raison d'être is to keep us happy.

Nathan

Pascal wrote:

> Friends,
>
> Remember I said that I had written up to three emails over the past week to
> the LeicaCard service department (in German) at Solms, without getting a
> reply?
> Yesterday, I finally got a reply (after a week). But a very disappointing
> one.
>
> I took part in the LeicaCard photo contest (for which I had handed over a
> Zip disk containing two images when I was in Solms for the Leica Akademie
> seminar at the end of September). I now wanted to ask some practical details
> on the LeicaCard members meeting itself, which will take place on Oct 30 and
> 31 in Wetzlar. The winning images of the photo contest will then also be
> displayed.
> Now, the LeicaCard service told me that inscriptions for the member days
> were only possible up to Sept 31, and that they could not take my
> inscription (alhough I am participating in the photo contest). The closing
> date of Sept. 31 would have been mentioned on the relevant information, but
> it is not. I checked and that date is only mentioned as the closing date for
> the photo contest, and not for inscription to the LeicaCard meeting itself.
>
> Very disappointing.
> I am not sure if I am going to continue my membership in the LeicaCard for
> the future.
>
> Pascal

> Check out my personal photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
> PowerPC G3... listen carefully and you can hear the sound of Pentium chips
> being eaten for breakfast
> Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet
> <<< PGP public key available on request >>>

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html