Subject: Re: [Leica] diluting XTOL
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:32:48 +0000

>There have been a number of comments on the LUG about using XTOL at a
>1:1 or greater dilution.  What is the rationale?

1. For economy.  For eg. I need 1000 mls to develop 2 rolls of 120 films in
my paterson tank.  I also know that I need at least 100 mls of stock per
roll.  So what I do is to mix 250 mls of stock with 750 mls of water to
achieve that volume of working soln.

2. For greater developing time.  In practice, it is not wise to have a
developing time < 5 minutes.  This results in insufficient time for the
film to imbibe the developer and get even development.

I work at room temperatures of around 27degC and so I try to dilute my Xtol
to achieve 7-10 mins of developing time.  Readers of my earlier post will
know that I normally overexpose my film by 1 stop and pull back my
developing time by 15% and hence the increased developing time will help to
ensure that my final developing time will still exceed 5 minutes.

Dan K.