Subject: Re: [Leica] sneak thief photographers: releases
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:09:57 -0700

Correct me if I am wrong but it was my understanding that in the USA
photographers do not need to obtain a photo release unless the picture is
used for commercial purposes and that newspapers did not fall into this
catagory.  Also do you know if the Voice represented and payed this family
or was it up to Sylvia Plathy.  The reason I ask is I was thinking about
getting an internship of sorts at a paper next month.  If the voice didn't
deal with this situation for the the photographer, I think the press would
be a better option for me.

Dear Michael,
I'm sorry, I can't answer your questions. Ms. Plathy remarked about the
problem in passing during her slide show. Clearly, you should get accurate
info on the technical points. There are some LUG member's who work for
papers, so they can probably answer you question. By the way, taking a
workshop from Sylvia Plathy is well worthwhile. She has the most uncanny eye
I've ever seen, and a great approach to street photography.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson