Subject: [Leica] Contax vs. Leica
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:43:39 -0800

For the testing obsessed, I offer my IMHO non-scientific valuation
of comparison slides I examined under a loupe taken with Contax
G lenses and Leica M lenses.  I looked at each and picked the
subjective "winner" based upon sharpness and color saturation.  I
was not told which was Leica until I choose my winner.

Scene --- handheld outdoor in a parking lot, lots of signs and license plates.

Summicron-M 50mm vs. Contax f/2 45mm
Immediately upon looking at the two slides I picked the Summicron, no contest.  The image was sharper, and the color was more saturated.  "Oh, yea, this one is better!"

Elmarit-M 90mm vs. Contax 90mm
Had to look back and forth a few times.  The Elmarit was better, but the difference was not as great.  "I think I prefer the one on the left."

Scene --- indoors in a camera store, hand held.
21/2.8 Biogon G vs. Elmarit-M ASPH 21mm
Back and forth, back and forth.  Pressure is on, got to pick the Leica.  Wait, there is ever so slight difference in sharpness, or is it
my imagination?  Got to pick one, so "One on the left."  Yes, it
was the Leica!

Moral --- The Contax has some very, very good lenses.  But
nothing beats a 50mm Summicron.  <g>