Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Stigma
From: kabob@tiac.net (Bob Keene/Karen Shehade)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:52:07 -0500

Hi group,

In regard to the Leica "Stigma"- I can report that I used to HAVE it for
you people! I remember seeing  someone using a Leica and I thought to
myself "Camera-snob! My AE-1 is just as good as that... it's not the
equipment that makes the photographer! blah-blah-blah!"
I would instantly judge you. Perhaps it was 'jealousy'; but I felt that
people who would spend THAT much money.... I also remember thinking that I
would NEVER spend THAT kind of $$$ on a camera or lenses...
Hell, my Canon A2 was "camera enough for any man!" Now I'm in the wedding
game and one moment really stands out in my mind: Bride and Groom are
dancing their first dance- there's beautiful soft light spilling in from
the wall length windows- I put down the Hassy, pick up the A2 loaded with
3200 speed film aim the 70-200 zoom and gently push the shutter release to
engage the auto focus- and the BrideWHEELS around and says- "Oh! It was
YOU! I wondered what that red light on Tim's head was!?"  I think it was
then that I REALLY saw  what the Leica Way is..... My camera got between my
subject and my vision; actually interupted the very moment I wanted to
capture.
I never appreciated that the camera can be a true extension of your eye-
but since shooting a Canon 7, I can now understand that 'sense'. From now
on I am a "photo-Ninja"; I stalk my prey with the big gun (Hassy) and
around my neck- two silent rangefinders......one a Canon 7 and the other,
well......

.....this week I'm getting in from several different 'deals':
M4-P body with MR4 meter
90/2.8 M Elmarit (thanks Marc!)
50 f2 LTM Summitar
2 LTM to M adapters
2 Tom A "Softies"
for a total of about $1570

Never thought I'd do it, but welcome me, for I step into the pit!

Now, all I *need* is a couple of Summilux's!!!!
(that "Nocti-Lexus" is still a symbol of hedonism to me  (he said jealously))

Oh- failed yesterday to do my PAD!!! Should I do TWO today? (hard as my
Canon 7 is being CLA'd and the M4-P is in transit; been using the Rollei
35s and 500cm)

Best of framing and contrast- apologies for the ramblings-

Bob Keene
"a LUGwanna-be, but soon-to-be LUGnut"
Boston, MA