Subject: [Leica] Equipment decisions
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:23:38 -0800

Hi fellow luggers:

I went snowmobiling with friends in Northern Idaho and Southern Canada last
week. It was a blast, but initially I had a very difficult time deciding what
equipment to take. Should I take long lenses? Short lenses? Zooms? Rangefinders?
SLRS? Should I use 35 only or MF? That's the problem with owning too much
equipment.

This dilemna is not uncommon to me. For years I tended to over equip. I'd come
back from trips with much equipment unused. It's one thing when you have a
specific assignment. It's another when you're going someplace for the first
time, doing something you've never done before.  It's difficult to decide what
to take. I ended up taking an M6 with 28/2.8 and 50/1.4 and an SL with a 28/2.8
R and a 90/2 R.

As it turned out, it was the right amount of equipment.  I used the 28/2.8's for
groups, scenics, and casual activities. I used the 90/2 R for casual portraits
and action. My snowmobiling suit had plenty of pockets,which is a good thing.
Snowmobiling is extremely rough. Even the best bag wouldn't have offered enough
protection for equipment. Each day we packed a couple of cases of beer on a big
touring machine with long tracks and the best suspension. Half the cans broke
open before the days end (OK, they all broke open, but only half intentionally.
The other half split from banging around so much. And these were aluminum cans,
not bottles) .

The whole experience reminded me of several things. First, simple is better.
Less equipment means fewer problems and more focus on photography. Secondly,
Leica equipment is superb. Autofocus wouldn't have worked well, especially in
heavy snowfall conditions. Reliance on batteries would have complicated matters.
Even in heavy weather I was able to focus quickly and accurately, thanks to the
bright viewfinder in the SL.

I spent yesterday evening printing contacts and a few proofs. I saw snow texture
that amazed me. I've always found photographing winter sports extremely
difficult, mainly because snow washes out so easily. (If I can figure out an
easy way to post them, I'll do so. I love seeing everyone else's photographs. )

I photograghed for 3 days in rough, variable conditions. The equipment --
including the 30-year-old SL -- performed flawlessly and came through none the
worse for wear. No dead batteries. No LCD blackout from cold weather. Leica
equipment is rugged. In restrospect, the only thing I really missed was motor
drive .

Dave