Subject: Re: [Leica] I'm baffled
From: drbledsoe <drbledsoe@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

I was sort of wondering the same thing myself.
Sometime back I picked up a few used "other brand"
lenses in LTM for my IIIg.  None came close to the
performance of the Leica LTM lenses I had.  I promptly
sold them and wondered what the heck was I expecting?
Why did I bother when I sort of guessed what the
results would be before I even bought them?

And I have followed that experience with the same
approach to my M lenses.  Why bother?  Why buy Leica
and use inferior lenses?  The Ricoh 28/2.8 lens might
be a fairly decent lens as long as it is mounted on
something tiny like the GR-1, which has its own
purpose i.e., a shirt pocket camera.  But why mount it
to an M camera when, as you point out, excellent used
M lenses are out there a plenty?

don

- --- Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> wrote:

<HR>
"I'm a little baffled."
[snip]
"Then, some manufacturer (like Ricoh, Cosina,
Voigtlander, Tokina...),produces a lens that fits
Leica cameras. Many LUGgers go GAGA! When will
they be available, where can I buy them, etc..."
[more snip]