Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: velvia and Taj Mahal
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:12:08 -0600

>My question for the beginner is, with this much-discussed and praised film,
>using an R4 that has just been brought back to original specs, what ISO
>should be used initially and until one gets very familiar with the film?

Peter,

Get a note pad.

On separate pages write -1/2, -1, -1 1/2, -2.  Then go the other way 1/2,
1, 1 1/2, 2.  And of course have a 0.

Take a meter reading in your standard method with ISO set to reccomended
index (50 for velvia) take a photo of someone holding the paper with the 0
showing for the "control" exposure.  Open 1/2 stop and flip page to the 1/2
setting and so on up to two stops over exposed.

Then stop down in 1/2 stops using the - figures.

Get film souped look and see which is best, probably the +1/2, then
callibrate your iso settings accordingly.  I usually rate Velvia at 32 on
my Minolta auto meter.  This works with my meter and the way I
meter...everyone holds meters differently so settings will vary from person
to person.

If you plan on shooting mostly chorme you ought to look into an incident
meter.  Simply the best quickest easiest way to consistent exposures once
you learn how to use it.

FWIW I shoot 98% velvia for publication and meter well over 90% of shots
with a minolta auto 4f...those sekonics do look sweet though.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
Preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mail: mcclary@iname.com