Subject: Re: [Leica] 85mm/ 1.5
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:00:56 -0500

At 02:17 PM 1999-03-21 EST, Jo Goodtimes wrote:
>Does anyone know about a lens with thread mount made by USSR in the past .

MAJOR WARNING:  The Helios-40 was NEVER MADE IN LTM!  The did make a
version in M39, but this is for the Zenit SLR with its 45.5mm back-focus,
while true LTM has a back-focus of 28.8mm.

In other words, the lens WILL fit, but will not focus.  And it is not RF
focused.  You CAN find the lens in M42 and adapt it to the Leica M body
with a Leicina 22232 adapter, but, then, you're going to be zone-focusing
an f/1.5 lens at 85mm!

I have one of these lenses, and love it, and HAVE shot it by scale
focusing, but it is a bear!  I generally use it on a Praktica B or Rollei
SL35E with adapter, or on my Canon EOS 10s.

These lenses can be found for between $75 and $250, the prices seemingly
higher for the newer, black versions.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!