Subject: Re: [Leica] I'm baffled
From: m037iu00@cwcom.net
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:21:34 +0100

Jim,
You probably remember I have a Ricoh 28mm lens, I'll tell you why.

I'm interested not only in photography, but Leicas, and then I find I'm
not only interested in only Leicas but other interesting cameras (you
know, Linhofs and stuff) and most specifically (though I'm not entirely
sure why) in the non-Leitz accessories that were made for the Leica
system.
So we all have our little preferences for what makes us tick, I prefer
brunettes, some prefer blondes, etc...
In my case, the lens didn't cost me a whole lot (very little at all
actually through a direct trade with someone in Japan) but the effective
trading price was definitely not able to buy me a current, or even 1st,
2nd or 3rd series Leica 28mm lens. So it was a case of, 'Do I want a
28mm lens now?' or 'Can I bear to wait another year or two before I have
enough for a new one?'
As I have never bought a Leica lens (or any other lens come to think of
it) new, the second thought was quite unnerving so I opted for the
former.

I have since had the opportunty to effectively swap it for a 1st series
Leitz 28mm lens, I compared them and found the Leica lens slightly
lacking, so I kept the Ricoh and I certainly prefer its size.
I really had wanted the Leitz lens to be better, it still irks me
somewhat that I have a rogue lens in my 'prime' outfit but until I (and
maybe others) can afford the best that Leitz produce we may have to
settle for second best from elsewhere.

And at the end of it all, for many (though not all) of us, the image is
more important than the technical quality.

I hope this helps.

Jem